Spinning World
Was at a friend's last night looking though his CD collection and came across an out-of-print CD I've been trying to find for a long time. The Heartbeats Rhythm Quartet is the band; "Spinning World" is the title. I'm listening to it now, and it's every bit as good as I remember. The old-time style combo includes Tara Nevins (fiddle, vocals, rubboard, triangle, tambourine), Beverly Smith (guitar, vocals), Rose Sinclair (accordion, banjo, vocals) and June Drucker (acoustic and electric bass, vocals). Most of the songs are written by Ms. Nevins, but there are a few traditional tunes as well (Cotton-Eyed Joe, Whole Bunch of Keys, Black Mountain Rag).
I saw them perform in the early 90s at the Winnipeg Folk Festival, both on the main stage and in small workshops. Not sure why I didn't buy the CD then and there, but I did have a cassette that had a few songs from it kicking around in my car for a while until it melted. I've been looking for it ever since.
This recording was released by Green Linnet in 1993. You can find the occasional used copy online or in your local used record store.
Green Linnet is a small label specializing in traditional/celtic music. They were involved in some pretty serious disputes over royalties & copyrights a couple of years ago, and subject to a demonstration organized by the American Federation of Musicians in the fall of 2003. Magpie has more here.
I have no idea why "Spinning World" is out of print, but I am pretty sure that the Heartbeats are not performing together nowadays. Some of you might know Tara Nevins from the group Donna the Buffalo. Her (sort of) recent solo project 'Mule to Ride' on Sugar Hill Records is worth checking out also, if you haven't heard it.

No comments:
Post a Comment