For the record
I don't intend to move ever again. Let's also note, however, that I've said this before. I'm not sure I mean it this time either, but there you have it. I am all in the middle of it and it's going pretty well, no major setbacks, etc.
Despite the lack of an internet connection and hot water, I'm mostly staying at the new place on account of it's way tidier and all new & everything. Plus the bed is there, and all my clothes. Here are a few pictures of some of my favorite features of the new place.
The novelty will wear off, no doubt, but this just might be a big enough house for me to stay organized.
By "organized" I guess I mean to say that the messy parts will be upstairs in their own rooms.
But I'm getting the hang of this household chore thing. I've gone to the hardware store three times now to get light bulbs and plumbing stuff, and a closet bar and all kinds of amazing things. I love hardware stores.
I never thought that I would own such a thing as hedge clippers, but
I now have some hedge clippers. I needed them to hack the foliage out from behind the porch swing. Before I cut it back, sitting in the swing was sort of like being on the set of 'Little Shop of Horrors.' Plus all that overgrowth got in the way of the swing's trajectory. If you click on the picture of the swing, you can see all of the shrubbery that I hacked off. I did not take a 'before' picture, alas.
I'm not very fond of yard work, but I do love a nice porch swing.
And here we are in the kitchen. I kind of like this dorky little pass-through window into the dining room, although it seems kind of pointless -- I can't really reach across the stove with an actual plate of food or anything.
It does, however, seem like a good way to keep an eye on any dinner guests who might show up while I'm cooking.
Also note the wine bottle with my name on it. I'm particularly fond of it, both because it has my name on it and because it comes with a very nice, refreshing Spanish white wine in it.
The library with its wall of shelves is really the greatest thing about this house. Maybe. I already have most of my books unpacked and it looks like I have room for more!
In my last place, there was no room at all for books; they were stacked up on the floor all over the place and I used them to put my coffee cups on. Sort of like endtables, I guess. Now I'll have to get some of those. And a sofa. I need to get living room furniture.
I'm trying not to think too hard about the metaphorical import of having a house full of stuff and no living room furniture. I've been kind of a hermit these past few years. I think it's time for me to get a life, wouldn't you say?
More later, I've got to go pack up the sewing gear and the art supplies and the other stuff still at the old house.

8 comments:
The house is beautiful!!!!
After my divorce I spent a few years without furniture. It was all right, really; I just spent a lot of time in bed ;-)
Eventually someone left a sofa at the side of the road and voila! I had a sofa!
Those were the days . . . .
I agree. It's a lovely house! I love the library! I love the passthrough window!
And the swing.
And I missed you during your blog silence.
TS
Wow! Love the style! Love the front porch! The tile! The design! The material! The brick! The paint! The library!
Only one problem...
You live there...I don't! :>)
Peace.
Oh, very nice! Mazeltov!
I'm not sure which I love more, the porch or the library.
Thanks all. I think the only furniture I've purchased is maybe the piano bench and a couple of cheap-ass bookshelves and that sort of thing. Everything else is from bulky item pick-up day and/or somebody else's basement.
You can't feel too sorry, though, for someone with a piano and no sofa. A Steinway, no less. But I just haven't felt like getting a sofa -- not even a free or cheap one -- because, well, I haven't felt like having anyone over to the house for a long damn time.
so, wait, the clutter at the old place got to the point where you just said "screw this" and moved? Awesome!
no, seriously, it looks terrific. mazel tov, use it in the best of health.
Yeah, belledame, I guess that is sort of what I'm saying. And it's not the first time, either. But seriously, I've been fighting these contradictory needs to have either the smallest, most organized, most perfect little house or else spread out in enough space to accommodate my actual life the way I live it. Turns out that space is cheaper than all the stuff I would need in order to make, say, an airstream trailer really work for me.
But the Nora-moves-on-accounta-the-damn-house-is-a-mess theory is a popular one because my house always is messy and I do move quite a lot. A couple of months ago I borrowed a vacuum cleaner from my lovely ex wife who looked at me kind of oddly and said, 'you're going to clean the house? usually you just move.'
yeah yeah. In fact I had kicked over a bucket containing about 12 pounds of flaxseed on the dining room floor and the damn things were everywhere. I was making these little flaxseed-filled neck pillows, see, and the sewing machine was set up on the dining room table because --- well, you get the picture. And I knocked the flaxseed bucket over because the massage table was in the way.
So what I really need is a sewing room. And an art project room. And a basement workshoppy kind of room. And a library. And an office. And a room for my massage table.
I'm still not sure what to do about the living room. I mean, what do people do in living rooms?
Hey!
Looks like a great place...same neighborhood?
Let me know when the housewarming party is
VL
Post a Comment