Thursday, July 6, 2006

Not entirely sure how this works



But this YouTube thing is kind of cool. Here is some video of Sandy Denny singing and playing the piano on two songs and the guitar on another. Not the most high-quality recordings or copies, but it's not like there's a lot of video of her out there floating around. Here she is with her band Fotheringay. Sandy is singing harmony vocals with her husband Trevor Lucas singing lead. There are weirdly invasive titles on the screen, but it's cool to see anyway.

And for you real geeks out there (and I know you're out there), here is some very rare, early Fairport Convention, pre-Sandy Denny, with vocalist Judy Dyble.

5 comments:

Magpie said...

oooooh! thank you! it's really good to see and hear sandy denny when she was at the top of her form. i only saw here once, with fairport, in 1975. and while she was still good, it was pretty obvious that her life had taken its toll on her talent.

i'd never seen the 'time will show the wiser' clip before. yow! all those comparisons of the pre-Denny Fairport to Jefferson Airplane were dead-on. Since this is probably the only video of Dyble with Fairport, it's really unfortunate that she isn't featured more prominently, since she's quite a good singer. There's a lovely version of her with King Crimson (!), singing 'I Talk to the Wind', which you can find if you poke around the web a bit.

alphabitch said...

Miss Magpie: I've got to say I impress myself, finding and posting a Fairport Convention-related item that you've never seen.

Yall, this woman's knowledge of the whole Trad/Folk-Rock scene is positively encyclopedic. And then some. And she has it all on vinyl.

antiprincess said...

two or three years ago my husband the rawknroll metal guy played me some song with lots of guitars and tolkien-y lyrics and some guy named Jimmy Page and stuff and I heard it and I went OMG! Sandy Denny!
and he went Nuh-uh! Led Zeppelin!

I got folk music in his rock-n-roll, or he got rock-n-roll in my folk music.

Seriously, I was astonished. I never knew that Sandy Denny worked with those guys. (I barely knew those guys.)

Anonymous said...

was the video hard to post on your blog? what's the trick?

alphabitch said...

antiprincess -- the only led zeppelin disc I have is the one with Sandy singing Battle of Evermore.

hedonist -- go to youtube.com and find a video you want to view or post (here*, for example and look to the right of the screen that's playing the video. There'll be a pane that says 'about this video' and there's a field that says URL and contains the URL for the page you are on. The next field is called EMBED and has the code to cut and paste into your html to post the video on your blog. You don't even have to register or join.

*I don't know if you're a Richard Thompson fan; this song's about red hair & black leather and it's terribly sad. But the girl gets the motorcycle in the end, so it's kind of a happy ending.