Friday, August 4, 2006

Get your mind outta the gutter

You can't make this shit up. I have no idea whether or not this is for real, but it's a video clip (posted on youtube.com) in which these two guys are talking about a banana. And how its many beautiful characteristics that suit it so well for human, um, consumption are proof of Divine Providence. At least I think that's what they're talking about:

"Notice how gracefully it sits in the hand. Notice it has a point at the top for ease of entry, it's just the right shape for the human mouth. It's even curved toward the human face to make the whole process so much easier..."
They really say that. Without smirking in the slightest. Anyway, they examine the banana and offer it up to heathen atheist evilutionists (like myself, I guess) as proof that god exists and really cares about us.

Obviously, if he wants us to do that with our bananas he cares at least a little.

As the lovely belledame over at Fetch Me My Axe puts it: "it's just a banana, people. Sometimes a banana is just a cigar. And/or proof that there is, in fact, a God."

But then I came across this version of the same video, which includes the beginning of the piece, in which these guys explain creationism Intelligent Design by displaying a soda can and using it to ridicule -- what, exactly? science? "I have an intellectually stimulating theory," says the guy on the left,
"It's my theory of where the soda can may have come from -- billions of years ago there was a big bang in space -- nobody knows what caused this big bang, it just happened ... and from this bang issued this huge rock, on top of this rock was found a sweet brown bubbly substance and over millions of years, aluminum crept up the sides, formed itself in a can, then a lid, then a tab..."
And then he talks about how that's a crazy and absurd "theory" and clearly the can was designed and manufactured, implying the existence of a designer and a manufacturer. And then they bring on the banana, "the atheists' nightmare!" I believe we're meant to conclude that it's crazy to think that bananas and humans just, you know, evolved.

This is what they want to teach young people?

6 comments:

belledame222 said...

I'm afraid they're deadly serious. Kirk Cameron is a darling of the kooky evangelical world, seeing as how he was a big Hollywood star (okay crappy sitcom child/adolescent actor); he and Ray "Cold" Comfort have a website and television show (among other erm outreach tools) together. I've been meaning to write a post on the charming Ray's theory of childrearing at some point; unlike their more ludicrous forays into banana-eating and so forth, that shit is really not funny at all.

anyway, if your head can stand it:

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/

belledame222 said...

and, yeah, their whole "proof" is basically the Prime Mover/Watchmaker thing, only perky and filled with unintentional hilarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleological_argument

somehow the "carmaker" or "soda can maker" (or, yes, banana-maker") doesn't have quite the same poetic ring.

Anonymous said...

"Bananas: The Atheist's Nightmare"

How true. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up, screaming and soaked with frantic perspiration, dreaming about bananas.

Wait, no. That didn't quite sound the way I meant it...

Daryl McCullough said...

My feeling is that the surest way to turn the US into a country of atheists is to teach creationism in the schools.

alphabitch said...

belledame: thanks for the links. My head can't quite stand the childrearing theories.

thomas: ha! that's just sick!

daryl: sounds crazy, but it just might work!

Kip W said...

I remember the old saw about the jet fighter. "The molecules didn't just fly together one day and become a jet fighter, did they?"

Well, no. First somebody made a paper dart. Then somebody tried a glider. Then there was powered flight in glider-like contraptions, then biplanes, bigger planes, better planes...

Looks like they evolved. Well, I'll be damned. (Except I probably won't.)